My baby girl and her husband.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Will my Grandchild be a Boy or a Girl?

  My family loves animals, especially dogs.  We've had dogs since before our children were born.  Beth has been wanting a dog since she got married.  She got a bunny and a guinea pig but had to give them away when she moved to a different appartment while they lived in Lincoln.  In January they decided to go the the local amimal shelter and look for a kitten.  Well, they also looked at puppies and Ben fell in love with a Rottweiler/Lab mix.  She has the markings of a Rottweiler but the body shape of a Lab.  They named her Daisy.  She is very low energy for a puppy, very smart but not the bravest dog in the yard.  There is a much smaller dog that belong to the people in the house next to them and when it barks, Daisy runs into the garage.  Who knows?  It might be good practice for the baby.  Except for the taking her outside to go potty thing.
  We have watched Daisy a few times and it's funny to watch her with our dogs, Blaze, a male 11 year-old Golden Retriever. and Angel, a 10 year-old female mixed breed.  Blaze is the typical Golden, easy going and patient with the puppy.  He also has a huge fatty tumor on his side and probably arthritis which makes it hard for him to move quickly.  Angel is more dominate and territorial.  She is basically the boss and the enforcer.  She does not put up with the puppy's antics.  Daisy, being a puppy, likes to play.  I believe she thinks Blaze is a canine jungle gym.  She jumps on top of him, bites his head and basically terrorizes the poor old man.  Blaze growls occasionally but does not do a lot to defend himself.   Angel has pinned her several times, without hurting her, to teach her some puppy manners.  When Aunt Angel speaks, Daisy listens.  When Daisy is bothering Uncle Blaze all Anut Angel has to do is walk over and look at her and Daisy stops.  The reason I'm telling you this is because I think it's funny and we had to puppy sit Daisy on Feburary 16th, the day of the ultrasound. 
  Beth's doctor's appointment was in Champaign, about 45 minutes away.  This appointment was also to include a very throrough ultrasound lasting for about a half hour.  Because it was a late afternoon appointment they decided to make an evening of it.  They asked me to watch Daisy because they were going to be gone for several hours.  If the baby co-operated and they could determine the sex, Ben and Beth decided not to tell anyone until the next day.  They were also not telling anyone the names.  Just  before this appointment they both decided they weren't sure about the girl's name they had chosen.  They said they would wait to see what the sex of the baby was before they discussed names again.  If the baby was a boy there would be no problem.
  After I knew the ultrasound would be over I called and asked if everything was okay and if the baby had co-operated.  She said yes to both and they were going to see if they could find a 'take-home' outfit for the baby.  I didn't press for any more information because I knew they wanted to keep this information just between them for a little while.  A few minutes later Brad called and asked if Beth knew the sex of the baby yet.  I told him they weren't going to tell until the next day.  He seemed a little disappointed.
  They had to come to our house to pick up Daisy before they went home.  It just happened to be the night of the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.  Since there was nothing better on I made the dogs watch it with me and take notes.  I hoped they would learn something from these beautiful, well behaved dogs.  I really don't think they played close enough attention.  It was just over when Ben and Beth came in.
  Beth had a shopping bag in her hand.  She said she wanted to show me something.  They had decided to tell the grandparents and aunt and uncles that night.  She had already called her dad, who was at work, and Ben's parents.  I think they may have also called Ben's sister and her husband or were going to the next morning.  Anyway I thought I saw a lot of pink in the bag and sure enough, she had several little girl outfits!  They call Brad, who was at a friend's house, and had him come home.  When he saw the little pink outfits I was holding he smiled and said, "It's a girl?'  He hugged his sister and brother-in-law.
  I would have been just as happy with a boy but I was surprised how thrilled I was that it was a girl!  I couldn't stop smiling  Oh the cute clothes I could buy!  Now the only problem is the name.  I will call her Wilhelmina.
  I wanted my first baby to be a boy but I got a girl.  I was not unhappy at all.  Beth wanted her first to be a boy but is very happy with a girl.  She said it took Ben a little while to get excited but when I saw him he was on cloud nine!  Beth says there's going to be a lot of estrogen in the house with her, the baby and Daisy.         
  People are calling the baby "The Princess".  Beth says she is going to have to remind her frequently that she is NOT the princess and that her daddy will be no help what so ever in that matter.  She says there's only room for one Princess in their house and that is BETH.  Oh, what a rude awakening she is in for!  I told her she is now the Queen and the baby can have the "Princess" title.
  This baby is starting to feel real to her now.  Beth can call the baby 'she' and 'her'.  She is starting to feel her move.  She loves this baby but not they way she will.  We've talked about this.  I don't think a first time mother really knows how strong the love she has for that baby is until that baby is born.   And I don't think I'll fully understand the love of a Grandmother until I see little Wilhelmina.  I get tears in my eyes when I think about my daughter holding her little girl for the first time and falling deeply in love with her.  I simply cannot wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment